The William Grundt Memorial Library was opened 23 August 1975 by Lady Rose Moore, with over 300 people in attendance. There were 28,000 items in stock and enjoyed a membership of 950.
The William Grundt Memorial Library is a meeting place for all residents and visitors that is welcoming, non-exclusive and facilitates lifelong learning and resource provision, through a range of services.
Some other services include:
Free Wi-Fi internet access is available from within the library for Wi-Fi enabled devices. We have 20 computers for public use and access is free.
Printing and photocopying services
The Home Delivery Service has been developed to provide services to people living in the community who are unable to access the library due to age, disability and/or limited mobility.
The provision of Public Library Services in Western Australia is a joint partnership between the State Government and the Local Government Authorities. The State provides the book stock and other materials and facilitates the provisions of information services. The Local Government provides the building and staff.
William Grundt was born in Norway on 16 September 1882, he came to live in Australia in 1896, aged 14. He prospected around Australia for about 20 years before settling in Kalgoorlie in 1920s or early 1930s. William was a bright student passing his technical college examinations in mining and mine surveying with first and second grade passes. When William wasn’t working on his tribute leases he resided at the Oriental Hotel in Boulder. He was a community orientated person and made regular donations to the swimming club, Institute of the Blind and other local groups. William worked as a tribute miner for the Great Boulder Proprietary Gold Mines, later gaining a spot on the board in 1943, becoming a director and major shareholder until 1962. He became deeply involved in the State’s share market and mining industry, mostly as a quiet background figure in the Kalgoorlie District.
William attempted to enlist to the Australian Imperial Force in July 1917 aged 35, but was found unfit for duty due to cardiac disease and was therefore rejected.
William married Myrtle Irene Holmes in London in 1934, returning later to Kalgoorlie where they built a home on Hinemon Street, living there until 1962. The couple did not have any children.
Myrtle was born in Ballarat East, Victoria in 1898 and moved to Kalgoorlie in 1910 where she worked as a shop assistant. William died in Perth, on 11 June 1963 and was buried in Norway. He was described as a retired prospector and gentleman.
Myrtle died in Perth on 6 April 1971. Myrtle bequeathed approximately $100,000 to the Kalgoorlie Town Council to design and construct a memorial to her late husband, preferably around a fountain design. The Kalgoorlie Town Council, however, decided to use the bequest to build a fountain of knowledge and invested the money in the new library project.