A local rock collection, Menzies memorabilia and photos along with computers and wifi at the Menzies Visitors Centre are just some of the things that will make your stop in Menzies enjoyable.
In October 1894, Leslie Robert Menzie and John McDonald registered claim on two leases, the most bountiful being named the Lady Shenton mine after the wife of its financier Sir George Shenton.
As Menzies prospered, so did the number of hotels in the town, at one stage boasting 13 hotels with the Lady Shenton Hotel being one of those located on Shenton Street. However, by 1910 mining had all but ceased and with the support of the railway, the pastoral industry started to develop.
As residents moved away, the Lady Shenton hotel eventually closed.
The Shire of Menzies purchased this splendid building; Lady Shenton Building restored and reopened it in 2007 as the Shires’ Community Development activities. It now hosts the Visitor Information Centre, Public Library, Community Resource Centre (CRC), Post Office Agency and conference facilities.