This wheel in the Kambalda Arts Centre car park represents the beginning of the nickel mining era, being from the first nickel mine in Australia’s head frame.
It produced 4.5 million tonnes of nickel ore between 1967 – 1986.
The rich discovery hole was drilled on 28th January 1966 by driller Jack Lunnon.
That followed on from prospecting for gold dating back as far as 1930 by the persistent farmer George Cowcill, who mistook nickel for uranium in 1954, until it was analysed.
Western Mining Corporation developed the mine and townships very quickly following sinking the Lunnon Shaft, later named Silver Lake from a naming competition.
This may stem from the whiteness and shimmering of Lake Lefroy in summer.
Silver Lake is a symbol of the significance of the richness of mineral wealth in Kambalda, especially around its location, immediately surrounding and the nearby first discovery of gold by Percy Larkin in December 1896, the Red Hill Rush and naming of Kambalda in 1897 through to the current day Beta-Hunt rich gold strikes.