The Leonora Shire Council is administered from offices and a depot situated in the Leonora townsite.
The administration staff are available to help with all your enquiries.
The site that our administration office sits on was originally owned by the Bank of Western Australia and opened in April 1898. The original building was demolished in 1939 after the Bank of Western Australia merged with the Bank of New South Wales. The current brick building was then erected.
The building spanned a frontage of 30 feet (9.14 metres) on Tower Street and cost £3,738 ($7,476). Built of cement blocks, it included a public banking chamber, a manager’s room and strong room.
The attached manager’s residence comprised a lounge, dining room, 2 bedrooms, a maid’s room, kitchen, laundry, servery, bathroom and sleep-out with a garage at the rear.
In 25 January 1943 the Bank of New South Wales ceased operations in Leonora and customers’ accounts were transferred to the Kalgoorlie branch. The National Bank of Australasia moved its Leonora branch into the former Bank of New South Wales building in the same year and continued to utilise the building until the National Bank ceased operations in May 1966.
The Shire Office which was located on the site of the current War Memorial, burnt down not long after the the bank ceased operating, and property was acquired and is utilised to this day.
In 1993-1994 many of the original fittings were removed when the Shire offices were renovated, although the strong room from the building’s banking days remains in the reception office.