Located beside the Great Beyond, and soon to be part of it, is the old Laverton School House.
By 1900, there were enough children in Laverton to warrant a school. Unfortunately, the number was too small for the Education Department to justify the establishment of a state school.
As a result, the Wesleyan minister Rev. S.R. Rooney opened the first school in his own camp on 14 May 1900 for approximately 14 children.
The Laverton State School officially opened almost a year later in the Wesley Church on 15 April 1901 but closed the following month due to poor attendance.
Thankfully the school later reopened in October as a half time school.
During this time, the community was petitioning the Education Department to erect a school building, which was finally granted in 1906 when an iron and wood one-room school was built.
Over the decades, numerous altercations and additions were made to the school, most importantly the addition of a veranda on the northern side.
The building is currently being used by the Roman Catholic Church.
- Historic Site