Here is the only known remaining example of a hotel designed to incorporate an enclosed carriageway!
The Old Coach House, formerly known as Hotel Australia, was constructed in this spot on 1901 and according to Twentieth Century Impressions “completely dwarfs the other edifices in its vicinity”.
The Architect, Mr W.E. Robertson spared no expense in designing the building of burnt brick, made locally, with cement dressings.
The front bar featured turned pillars with mirror backs.
The saloon bar was of similar design but connected to the billiard room and smoking room.
The dining room had lofty, decorated ceilings.
There were eight bedrooms, excluding the bridal chamber, and all were furnished in an elaborate style.
A large archway was built of brick and formed part of the architecture at the front of the hotel, and was used for vehicles to access the stables at the rear.
Now home to the Community Resource Centre.