This location was named by John Forrest, in 1896. There are two stories told about how this site was named. Some suggest that Mount Leonora was named after John Forrest’s six year old niece, Frances Leonora Hardy. Others say Forrest named the site after Lady Eleonora, wife of the Governor of Western Australia.
In 1869 explorer John Forrest and party, in search of the lost Leichardt Expedition, made camp near this hill and named it Mount Leonora. Twenty-five years on, prospectors moved through the area and by 1896 mining claims were pegged and gold discovered, leading to the establishment of the town of Leonora, Gwalia, and the smaller town of Malcolm.
The indigenous people of Leonora call this site the sleeping dingo because of the shape of the hill formation. It is believed that the dreaming story of this site should not be written down.