This mural, painted in 2000, tells the story of Kambalda’s Heritage and are artist John Scott’s first attempt at more extensive work.
The mural on the left shows land sailing out on Lake Lefroy at the original land sailing club. These yachts were built in the 1970s by members who then raced them for pleasure. The yacht on the left is from the early era (1905) when land yachts carried provisions across the lake for the mines.
The foreground is of the Red Hill Westralia Gold Mine and camps from the early pioneering days, between 1897 and 1907.
The mural on the right means a lot to Scott as it is of Silver Lake Shaft. Scott started work in February 1968 in the pay office and prepared the worker’s pays.
The importance of the nickel boom and the development of Kambalda was an exciting time and as a consequence, Scott has continued to paint many images of this shaft.